Pages

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Life's Quotes

It's been awhile! Hope things are good for everyone!

As many people know, I love to collect quotes. I see them as God's way of giving us an instant pick-me-up. But let's be honest, that can be hard to remember when you are going through a tough time. The last few months I have done a lot of growing. I feel like I've taken all of these tools that I learned in school the past few years and have really been applying them to my life. Some of the things have been tough to look at, but I'm proud of the progress and outcomes.

The quote that has been sticking with me lately is "It's never too late to be what you might have been." This really revealed itself to me this week in the oddest of places: my job.

The past few weeks at my job have been really stressful. We've had a lot of people out of the office, I've been sick, the weather has been bad to commute in, etc. I also re-injured my knee a few weeks ago, and I've been trying to get in a certain number of workouts a week, but it hurts too bad and I have to stop. It's taken a toll on me mentally and physically. The other night Richard was gone and there was a problem with our pipes, and I told him "I can't do anything right. I break stuff, what I do isn't good enough, I feel inadequate." He assured me that it's just my perfectionist side coming out (which is true). But I hate feeling like I'm not doing well in my job. I love what I do, and I hate when I feel like I'm not getting anything across to the people I help.

With this dejected mindset, I walked into work to do my group. When I went to give them a break, one of them came up to me and said she had something to show me. This is what she showed me



Isn't it amazing? The cake was made from scratch. I'm not going to lie, I teared up when I saw it. Here I was, feeling like a total fraud at my job, and I had touched someone. The client told me it was the first time they had made a cake sober in several years, and they finally felt a sense of accomplishment and pride. They were proof that it wasn't too late for them to be what they might have been. They were doing it!

It set a positive tone for the rest of my week, and showed me that it's not too late for me to turn a negative situation around (even one from my own head) and be what I want to be. It was (literally) a sweet reward, and one that I will remember for the rest of my life.


What about you? What is it that you want to be?

1 comment:

dannarhea said...

Love this ... love love love.