Pages

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

I'm Eloping!

Gotcha!!!

But some days I seriously consider it. Usually after I have sat and attempted to figure something wedding related out, like what the different types of flowers are (I know of lillies, roses, tulips, those dandelion thingys that grow like crazy in the spring, and those yellow flowers. That's it!)

So if I am driving myself crazy with wedding details, why do I continue to do it? Richard. He wants to make sure that I get the wedding I want, and is afraid I would be unhappy if I didn't have an actual ceremony. And deep down I know he's right (but don't tell him, I don't want him to have too much credit.) And part of me thinks he's enjoying the planning a bit too much. For someone who didn't care about the details, he sure has input, although I did veto the saloon themed wedding with a KFC catered reception. I have standards!

How do you keep yourself from going crazy? Since I feel I am the only woman I know that has never been married, I get plenty of advice, some welcome, some unwelcomed. It's part of the deal, I guess. And then the "When's your next day off" comment pops out of my mouth and we debate it all over again.

Besides Richard reminding me why we should have a ceremony, another person stops me from just running off to Vegas and calling it done: my Dad. While he is all for whatever I want to do, and I appreciate that, I've always had the vision of him giving me away, and having that first dance together. I know it sounds weird, but when I was little my dad used to do a lot of weddings, and I would go along. I always made him dance with me during the slow songs and tell him it was practice for my big day. I feel like I wouldn't be keeping up my end of the bargain, and the same magic wouldn't be there if we had the reception later.

I guess it comes down to putting it all in perspective. I want to share my joy and happiness of marrying my perfect match with the people who have been there with me through our jouney...and in some cases, both attempts to get to the altar. I just hope y'all like 80's hair bands....

1 comment:

Orwellchick said...

Richard sounds sweet! Everyone has advice about weddings but you have to do what you want to do. I actually had a ceramony with Adam. I'm glad I did. His dad married us as he had previously married his brother and sister. Also...I vote for Richards idea! How hilarious is a KFC reception. The boy has class!!!!